Sunday, May 31, 2009

London.





It' been nice to be here. Just to relax a bit... come down off of all the busy-ness and forced focus and chaos and just be.
I feel so fortunate to have this short break in a familiar and easy-going place like the UK. The weather has been perfect- sunny and warm with a nice breeze. London is quite busy this time of year, and I find myself delighted yet challenged by the flow of this city. I love the UK... but it's so different than Turkey. I'm already aware of the ways that Turkish culture seeped into me and find myself doing funny little things here. For example- yesterday I rode the Underground into the city and without even thinking twice I littered (very turkish- they have people who clean up so everyone just litters- it's just a way of life) and then I stood up and gave my seat to a woman who was older than me (also very turkish- when someone elderly or someone with children gets on a bus you always give up your seat). The I noticed when someone asked me a question that I acted like I couldn't speak their language and used body language- haha! They spoke to me in english : ) I also couldn't bring myself to wear a tank top or shorts as I was always very conscious about what I wore in Turkey. I'm so used to living a certain way now that it's second nature, so strange : )
I arrived yesterday around 10:30 am after only sleeping a few hours and making a few connections, checking some baggage at the airport and checking in on my next fight out to America on Monday. As I took the tube into the city I felt such a mix of emotions. I was happy- to finally be in London, a place I love and to rest- but also really sad and alone feeling sort of. Even though I knew that I wasn't- I couldn't help but feel the loss of my community in Turkey. After that I took a short rest at the guest house and then ventured out to do some shopping to find a dress to wear to Romeo & Juliet tonight. Now, if you know me (which you all do as you're reading MY blog) you should know that I enjoy shopping sometimes but have a low tolerance for it and don't like malls or throngs of people. Haha- so shopping here in London was a big joke- on top of being wiped out sleep-wise. I was trying to navigate through this huge crowd looking for a specific shop when this lady whacked me in the knee with a heavy bag she was carrying. I stopped and thought wow- that really hurt and then just started laughing at myself for trying to do something I really didn't want to do. So then I forgot about the shopping and went to the park : )

Today has been wonderful. It's better than I can express to be on neutral ground- free from pressure or expectations for a day or two. I've been wandering and drinking coffee, having time to read and communicate again to you all. I hope you are all well, and send my love!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home