"When all else fails...skip."
Well, today was the big day. I tied my running shoes tight, twisted my hair up on top of my head, and grabbed an orange as I rushed out the door with my other two running mates. We were off to the 2009 Runtalya 10k race.
It was a perfect running day weather wise. The sun was shining but since it was early still, around 7am, the air was still cool. As we approached the starting area I felt excitement rising in me to be a part of a large scale event that was so international. It was fun to look around and see/hear people from so many different places. I sort of felt like I was acting or playing a part since I definitely don't identify myself as a runner. All the same it was exciting and it felt right to be there.
The course was laid out along the water and cliffs. If I hadn't been in so much physical strife I would have enjoyed the view : ) I really enjoyed the beginning of the race- it wasn't a hard course. We started at the Antalya museum and then made our way through the center of town, where I so often walk, and then through old town area up to the cliffs overlooking the water. The second half of the run was the killer. My old dance injuries flared up and slowed me down quite a bit... by the end I couldn't run anymore because my right knee and hip flexor hurt so much. I was starting to feel discouraged and really lame because I couldn't finish my run... but then a really funny idea popped into my mind. I remembered hearing that if you are going down a hill and your knees are hurting you should try skipping. It relieves the pressure off of your joints and engages a different set of muscles- your jumping muscles. So I just started to skip and it worked! It made my back and hip feel so much better and it was actually faster at that point than running... plus I made a lot of people smile. Haha! So that is the story of how I did indeed finish the Antalya 10K race by skipping the entire last kilometer : ) So the new saying goes- "When all else fails... just skip."
It was a perfect running day weather wise. The sun was shining but since it was early still, around 7am, the air was still cool. As we approached the starting area I felt excitement rising in me to be a part of a large scale event that was so international. It was fun to look around and see/hear people from so many different places. I sort of felt like I was acting or playing a part since I definitely don't identify myself as a runner. All the same it was exciting and it felt right to be there.
The course was laid out along the water and cliffs. If I hadn't been in so much physical strife I would have enjoyed the view : ) I really enjoyed the beginning of the race- it wasn't a hard course. We started at the Antalya museum and then made our way through the center of town, where I so often walk, and then through old town area up to the cliffs overlooking the water. The second half of the run was the killer. My old dance injuries flared up and slowed me down quite a bit... by the end I couldn't run anymore because my right knee and hip flexor hurt so much. I was starting to feel discouraged and really lame because I couldn't finish my run... but then a really funny idea popped into my mind. I remembered hearing that if you are going down a hill and your knees are hurting you should try skipping. It relieves the pressure off of your joints and engages a different set of muscles- your jumping muscles. So I just started to skip and it worked! It made my back and hip feel so much better and it was actually faster at that point than running... plus I made a lot of people smile. Haha! So that is the story of how I did indeed finish the Antalya 10K race by skipping the entire last kilometer : ) So the new saying goes- "When all else fails... just skip."

2 Comments:
Ash you are awesome. I used to run all the time and i never new that skipping could do that. makes me want to go skip or find a hoola hoop or something =D
I agree Ash! Good work! I love ya!
Post a Comment
<< Home