A Sight to Behold.
So goes the saying, "When it rains it pours"... they aren't kidding around here in Antalya-
Yesterday I got caught in a flash flood and it was awesome! I had finished teaching just after noon run home to grab some stuff and get ready to meet a friend in the city when all of a sudden I looked outside only to see huge drops coming down. Now being an Oregonian- i was secretly delighted and happy to brave the rain on this rare occasion (we have only gotten about a week of rain since I've been here). I grabbed my cool clear umbrella, my raincoat, and a hat and set off to catch a bus. Quickly analyzing the best route to take out of my three possible options, I settled on my least frequented route- through a back road, past an olive grove, turn left at the greenhouse, cross the canal and pop out on a main road. As soon as I set off, the heavens opened up and let loose- water pouring over my umbrella. I made my way over the dirt and rock road and ended up standing on the bridge for twenty minutes in the windy rain until the bus came. Unfortunately this one did not have heaters on the sides (most do!) but it was just nice to be out of the constant wet. When I arrived in the city the rain had reached it's height- Stepping off the bus into the street which had transformed into a small river I laughed out loud- the sight before me was ridiculous! People were scrambling through the streets to get under awnings or inside shops- out of the downpour... cars were slowly driving through the rivers of streets creating wakes behind them. At this point there was absolutely no way to prevent getting totally drenched but I didn't mind a bit- it was warm rain! It was hilarious to watch people react to the sudden flash downpour. I hurried along the twisting streets that lead to St. Paul's where I was meeting my friend Izehi. Almost there, I stopped to wait at the side of the road for a good chance to cross... there was a man there as well and just as a bus rounded the corner we both looked at each other knowing that we were about to get soaked even more- and just as we realized it the bus turned the corner and splashed us head to toe- and I just started laughing so hard because of how ridiculous this was at the end of a long week! I finally met up with Izehi and since the power was out at St. Paul's due to the storm we decided to treat ourselves to a rare cup of coffee at the warm and dry Starbucks around the corner. All in all it was a refreshing reminder to let go and look up at laugh a little. The weather was crazy but not unsafe- chock it all up to a good splashing in the puddles, or rather rivers, day.
Yesterday I got caught in a flash flood and it was awesome! I had finished teaching just after noon run home to grab some stuff and get ready to meet a friend in the city when all of a sudden I looked outside only to see huge drops coming down. Now being an Oregonian- i was secretly delighted and happy to brave the rain on this rare occasion (we have only gotten about a week of rain since I've been here). I grabbed my cool clear umbrella, my raincoat, and a hat and set off to catch a bus. Quickly analyzing the best route to take out of my three possible options, I settled on my least frequented route- through a back road, past an olive grove, turn left at the greenhouse, cross the canal and pop out on a main road. As soon as I set off, the heavens opened up and let loose- water pouring over my umbrella. I made my way over the dirt and rock road and ended up standing on the bridge for twenty minutes in the windy rain until the bus came. Unfortunately this one did not have heaters on the sides (most do!) but it was just nice to be out of the constant wet. When I arrived in the city the rain had reached it's height- Stepping off the bus into the street which had transformed into a small river I laughed out loud- the sight before me was ridiculous! People were scrambling through the streets to get under awnings or inside shops- out of the downpour... cars were slowly driving through the rivers of streets creating wakes behind them. At this point there was absolutely no way to prevent getting totally drenched but I didn't mind a bit- it was warm rain! It was hilarious to watch people react to the sudden flash downpour. I hurried along the twisting streets that lead to St. Paul's where I was meeting my friend Izehi. Almost there, I stopped to wait at the side of the road for a good chance to cross... there was a man there as well and just as a bus rounded the corner we both looked at each other knowing that we were about to get soaked even more- and just as we realized it the bus turned the corner and splashed us head to toe- and I just started laughing so hard because of how ridiculous this was at the end of a long week! I finally met up with Izehi and since the power was out at St. Paul's due to the storm we decided to treat ourselves to a rare cup of coffee at the warm and dry Starbucks around the corner. All in all it was a refreshing reminder to let go and look up at laugh a little. The weather was crazy but not unsafe- chock it all up to a good splashing in the puddles, or rather rivers, day.

1 Comments:
that was a crazy day! but the conversation and starbucks drinks were well worth it :)
izehi
Post a Comment
<< Home