Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Night of Cookies, Crutches, Kids and Cooking.

Well, today was supposed to be my second turkish lesson but my new teacher wasn't feeling well so it was canceled- that's ok though- I've pretty much gotten over the idea now that I will be able to speak Turkish very well. It's a really challenging language with so any cultural things deeply engrained in it- I just can see that it will take a lot more time and focus than honestly I have to offer while I'm here. Instead of turkish lessons, Gail (one of the mom's) called me and asked if I would mind coming over and helping out with the kids and dinner because not only is she in her last few months of pregnancy (and really large and achy) but also she just had a pretty bad ankle sprain when coming down some stairs that were uneven in the dark yesterday. Poor Gail! She's handled it really well though- she really is a trooper and has got some supernatural joy from the Lord I think too. So, of course happily I went over to spend some time with her and just help out while Mat her husband was in the city borrowing some crutches for her. It was fun to have time to be together and chat too, life is busy!
I was handed the task of figuring out dinner. I love to cook but usually it's on my own terms when there is no pressure and I can experiment. Tonight I really wanted to make a good meal for the family- something comforting... no one else had any ideas so I picked parmesan-lemon crusted chicken, rice (pilavh) and sauteed vegetables.... and big chewy chocolate chip cookies for dessert (with leftovers for gifts to neighbors since you never go over to anyone's home here empty handed and Gail won't be able to do much baking right now). Hannah and Moriah helped me and it was so much fun to be hanging out with them outside of school where we have to be on task and fairly strict. They are a kick to be with- so funny! Hannah and Moriah are African and you sure can tell it by the way they move and and the sounds they can make- it's funny and incredible- the things they come up with... like noises that have never before been heard : ) Well, dinner turned out well, Gail got her crutches, the cookies were successful, and those girls made me laugh so hard... what a beautiful job God did on them....
I was soo glad I could be there to help and encourage tonight (and that dinner turned out). It was great.

Here are some pictures that I've promised- from the city and the village.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home