The Bayram!
Monday was the holiday of Bayram here. They celebrate this for a whole week sort of like what we do for Christmas but Monday was the main day. The holiday is a muslim holiday where they basically sacrifice an animal- cows, sheep, goats, etc. in remembrance of when God gave Abraham a ram to sacrifice instead of his son (the story in the bible). So what that means practically- is that on Monday all the stores shut down, the bus schedules go all wonky, and everyone- everywhere is gathered outside their houses with family and friends getting their meat ready... in order to spare those of you with weak stomachs I will just say that (especially in the village) pretty much everywhere you looked there was the sacrificing of animals.... but on the upside- they do take about half the meat that they kill and give it to the poor and then keep half of it to feast on with their friends and families.
So- onto some of my new observations and experiences...
Tonight the american family I am living with had a turkish family over for company. There is a very specific code of hospitality and way to host people here in Turkey. You always offer either chai or other refreshments and you always serve some sort of food or sweet. There are common greetings that you say to each other and then during a holiday time all that is even more heightened. It was soo cute tonight the two little kids that came took my hand and kissed it and then touched it their forehead and then said happy Bayram (in turkish of course) They use this lemon-scented oil on the hands always before you eat or just to feel clean I guess- I've noticed that it's a very common part of the hospitality here- even when I was out at the cell phone shop buying more kontors (units to call) they put it on my hands... strange....
Today was also my first time to hike up around the rocky crags directly behind my house.... they are so old and awesome and beautiful.... there are a bunch of caves dug out that are who knows how old and also- there are shepherds here!! They come over those rocky hills with their sheep and goats herding them early in the morning and late in the afternoon. Next time I go, I'll bring my camera so you can see how cool they are... what strikes me the most about them- is how old this area is... I mean so old I can't even comprehend it... the history that has run over the same ground that I naively walk on... it blows my mind! it's also nice to go up there because no one else is up there... it's a great hike and you can see for miles. It makes for great sunrises and sunsets...
So- onto some of my new observations and experiences...
Tonight the american family I am living with had a turkish family over for company. There is a very specific code of hospitality and way to host people here in Turkey. You always offer either chai or other refreshments and you always serve some sort of food or sweet. There are common greetings that you say to each other and then during a holiday time all that is even more heightened. It was soo cute tonight the two little kids that came took my hand and kissed it and then touched it their forehead and then said happy Bayram (in turkish of course) They use this lemon-scented oil on the hands always before you eat or just to feel clean I guess- I've noticed that it's a very common part of the hospitality here- even when I was out at the cell phone shop buying more kontors (units to call) they put it on my hands... strange....
Today was also my first time to hike up around the rocky crags directly behind my house.... they are so old and awesome and beautiful.... there are a bunch of caves dug out that are who knows how old and also- there are shepherds here!! They come over those rocky hills with their sheep and goats herding them early in the morning and late in the afternoon. Next time I go, I'll bring my camera so you can see how cool they are... what strikes me the most about them- is how old this area is... I mean so old I can't even comprehend it... the history that has run over the same ground that I naively walk on... it blows my mind! it's also nice to go up there because no one else is up there... it's a great hike and you can see for miles. It makes for great sunrises and sunsets...

1 Comments:
I love to read your stories Ashley. You are truly an adventurer! (Nina)
Post a Comment
<< Home