Thursday, July 27, 2006

What a day.... what a day today was. This morning we got up early and went out to the orphanage (the mother teresa orphanage that is out by the dump on the outskirts of town) at 7:30 am. We spent the morning re-painting the entire babies nursery and playing with the kids outside. At first when I was going to the orphanages it was really challenging for me. I actually dreaded going. But God has really used the experience to teach me many things like patience, contentment, love, meeting immediate needs, diligence and sacrifice. He has opened the door for me to have a friendship with this Irish girl named Suzanne who has been here and comes with us four days a week to the orphanages. I really feel God urging me to spend time with her and share with her about what He's done in my life. I'm excited to see what the next few weeks brings. So anyways- this morning we were at the orphanage with the team (which brings even more new and intersting dynamics) and I spent the morning with the kids. I realized that it has been getting so much easier for me and I actually enjoy so much being there now. This little girl Marguerita just clung to me all morning laughing and hugging me and singing with me.

So we worked past lunch and then ate a quick lunch (oh yeah- I don't think I've eaten any African food since I've been here. The lady we live with is brazilian and so are the Thorps) and then left for an area outside of the city called Machava. There we split into groups- most people stayed at the church to work with an english class and teach VBS to the kids. Brooke and I and a few others went out with Jim and the other pastor to visit some people in the village and invite them to church. So I went with the african pastor and another guy. It was really awesome. I like the village areas better than the city I think. As we were walking through the small winding dirt roads and even driving into the area it reminded me a lot of the the scene in the constant gardener when the woman visits the village with all the children. We visited three houses- none of the men were at home but the women and children were. You always have to ask permission first to enter their yard and then they go inside and bring chairs out for you sit down. Then we just talked with them. We asked them if they went to church and if so where. Many people say they are christians or go to church but they really don't- so it's good to ask questions. Then the pastor asked them about Jesus and if they had a relationship with Him. He asked them if they died today- if they were certain that they would go to heaven and be collected by Jesus. He told them that God wants us to have a relationship with us deeply and that if we say with our mouth believe in our hearts that he died to forgive our sins and will save us so that we can be in heaven with him forever. The coolest part for me was that the pastor was speaking all of this in portuguese to them... but I was understanding all of it. And I was even able to say some things to some of the women in Portuguese about God and how he loves us.... and then the pastor asked me to pray in portuguese and I did it!!! It was really cool to be able to connect with those people. I was so thankful that I could somehow speak and understand the portuguese better.

We spent Monday and Tuesday at Kruger National Park in South Africa and it was AWESOME!!! I feel like God gave me a million kisses... We saw so many incredible animals including leopards and lions and even an elephant who almost charged our car! It was the perfect break- filling us up to come back here to Maputo and work some more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home